Friday, November 21, 2008

Jayme went to the hospital today. At first, she said she didn't want to go, but changed her mind after a few minutes. She has been refusing her meds today and hasn't been eating or drinking much. She said she was in pain, that she just didn't feel well. The doctors there sent her back to the nursing home because there really isn't much they can do for her. They basically said that she should be on hospice so that she can be comfortable. I don't want to sound harsh, but the reality is that she is dying. There is a consensus among all the doctors that have seen her that she is not a candidate for a liver transplant and without that any aggressive treatment would just prolong her misery. She has no quality of life right now. She sleeps all day. She does get happy when we go visit, but when we leave she goes back to sleep. She likes the lights off and the door shut. She doesn't leave her bed for anything. They stopped trying to do physical therapy a few weeks ago because she wasn't doing it. Unfortunately, she is having a hard time accepting this, which is understandable. I just know that it would be easier for everyone else to accept it if she would and I think the opposite is probably true too. I think a part of her doesn't want to let everyone else who is pushing so hard for her down. It has to be hard to tell your kids that you are tired and just want to be done.

Anyways, if you would like to talk to her, please call. I have found that if I call twice it allows her more time to find the phone and answer, so you may want to try that, and then leave a message on the second call.

This probably doesn't come as a surprise, and I know I have been wrong about this before, but I think we should probably be prepared for her to go fairly soon. Of course, she may prove me wrong and stick around - we'll see.

No comments: